By: Office of Louisiana State Fire Marshal

LAFOURCHE PARISH- State Fire Marshal deputies continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding a house fire involving one death in Larose.

Just before 7 a.m. on Monday, July 1, Lafourche Parish Fire District #3 responded to an emergency call in the 200 block of Le Village Drive in Larose. Firefighters arrived to find the body of a man in a bedroom, but evidence of an extinguished fire was located in the home’s kitchen.

While official identification and cause of death is still pending with the Lafourche Parish Coroner’s Office, the victim is believed to be the 41-year-old homeowner, who was also an area volunteer fireman and paramedic.

Investigators did locate one smoke alarm in the home, but were unable to determine whether it was working at the time of the fire.

At this time, investigators believe unattended cooking was a contributing factor to this fire.

According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires and home injuries across the country.

 

The SFM encourages all residents to follow simple cooking safety practices:

·       Stay near any cooking activity

·       Keep cooking environments free of clutter and combustible materials

·       Avoid cooking when tired or under the influence.

·       Keep a lid close by in the event a small, stovetop fire occurs that can be smothered by placing the lid over it and turning off the heat

·       If an oven fire occurs, turn off the heat and leave the door closed.

·       When a large cooking fire occurs, get yourself and any other occupants out of the home immediately and call 911 for help.